Eat, Drink and Be Merry

My wonderful friends from Oregon visited Tuesday/Wednesday and that’s exactly what we did. We always have the best time together and this trip was no exception.

After Derek left last week, I kinda fell into a slump. I felt really down and kept myself rather isolated from friends, family and fun. I guess I was just pouting because I wanted to be a part of D’s new life and I was (am) suck in WA working at a stress-inducing, dead-end job.

But nothing like friends, sunshine and time off from work to lift your mood. The mini-vacation started Tuesday afternoon. The crew met me at my dad’s house. And then I drove us to Pike Place Market.

We saw some shops and admired some flowers. And then we decided what we really needed was a beer in the sunshine. So we found a bar with an outside patio and ordered some drinks and food. That was nice and all,  but what really made the meal was this guy: (look past us at the guy in the black shirt)

The poor guy had way too much to drink and after banging his fist on the table and whistling at the cocktail waitress, he promptly passed out in the position seen in photo 1. The bar staff moved him to the alley way (photo 2) and shortly after we joined by Pike Place security, Seattle Police and EMTs (photo 3). We had front-row seats to the whole drama as he was rolled by gurney to an ambulance parked nearby. Yikes! Oh, and I did I mention is was only about 4 o’clock in the afternoon? That guy hit the sauce hard, and early.

We finished our time at Pike Place with a stroll to the boardwalk. Along the way we saw a downtown fire and on the way back we saw mystery meat (I think it was salmon) defrosting on a stairwell. It was an interesting afternoon.

Next, we wanted to add Doug to the mix. Turned out he had to work all night, so we went to his bar for another drink. Then we decided on a sushi dinner. Problem was, the restaurant had a pretty long wait. Our solution? Drink! We rounded the corner to pass the wait-time at a pizza place with a selection of Lienenkugel beer (Katie’s fav and a rarity in the PNW). We drank over shared plates of cheese curds and (free!) tator tots- probably a perfect appetizer to sushi. Oh, and I should mention that on our trek to the pizza parlor, a random guy pulled open his shades to ask “Do you guys have any hot-dog buns?” I don’t know about you friends, but that’s not something I normally carry around for a night on the town. Chapstick? Definitely. Gum? Probably. But no hot-dog buns.

By the time our sushi table was ready, Doug and Mego were both able to join. So the six of us ate sushi. I give the meal a 8.2 (I’m a bigger fan of Rain on 45th when it comes to sushi). But the cool thing, or maybe strange I haven’t decided yet, was the restaurant’s toilet. They were… full service, I guess you’d say. With the option to clean front and back. And dry. I guess you’ll have to experience it for yourself. I can’t remember the restaurant name, but it’s right next to my brother’s bar, The Noble Fir, in Ballard.

We ended the night at King’s Hardware. There were whiskey shots and plenty of $2.5o sessions. We played Kings at King’s. And all of us but Adam played skee-ball (he was on his way to becoming blacked-out guy from the photo series above). Megan got us safely home and we pretty much went right to bed. Well Doug and Megan went to bed. Adam went to couch, Mimi went to loveseat and Katie and I went to half-way inflated, too-small-for-two-people air mattress. None of us visiting had the greatest night’s sleep.

Day 2 began with brunch at Blue Star. I give the food a solid 9. French toast and fruit was exactly what I wanted. The service was kinda bad, but the good company balanced it out.

Then we spent the afternoon in the sun at Greenlake. It was beautiful. And relaxing. And a perfect way to catch up with good friends who live too far away. They had to get back to Portland eventually, but not before we feasted on Jimmy Johns. Sooo good. Adam and Mimi agree. Katie seemed indifferent, but satisfied. Her vote barely counts, though, because she just ate cheese on bread.

Back to Dad’s house we went. Katie tried to get photos of the mountain on the drive, but with every attempt the camera died, a tree obstructed the view, or car drove by. So instead, she took this from my dad’s backyard:

To stretch out their visit just a little bit longer we went to Applebee’s for another drink. We pretty much hated on Applebee’s and the side of American life it represents the whole time we were there. But before leaving, we had the waitress take a group shot. Notice the table art we created. It was perfectly symmetrical but the angle of the photo makes it hard to tell.

They left and I went to bed early. The overall rating of the mid-week weekend? 11 out of 10!!! Yep, it was that amazing.

And even though I miss them and even though I had to work a 10 hour today, I am determined not to fall back into a melancholy mood. I will have fun throughout my last few weeks on the West Coast. And I will see these great friends soon (New Mexico Balloon Fiesta Adventure, the Sequel).

Only 3 weeks and 3 days until Moving Day, so make time for fun because I plan on living, laughing, and loving to the fullest for the rest of my stay.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Choose a Topic

Give me your email and I'll make sure you know any time there is a new post.

Join 147 other followers

%d bloggers like this: